Saturday, October 18, 2008

Great Physician

It's been 4 weeks since the operation and my wound is healing really well. Even the areas on my body which felt "funny" - numb and thick - immediately after surgery are recovering normal sensation again.

During my follow up visit to Dr Karen Yap on 10 Oct I had some fluid aspirated from the operation site. There was only 32ml removed - which Karen says was very good - i.e. minimal.

I also had 2 warts removed (burned off with laser!) by Dr Erik Ang - Karen's husband. It was painless because of the anesthetic but left 2 little craters in my left thumb and index finger. I'm glad my cousin Rachel was with me when the warts were being zapped - she kept talking to me and it took my mind and eye off the procedure. The one time I glanced over, the little crater in my finger made me feel just a teeny bit queasy.

Last Wed 15 Oct I returned to Dr Karmen Wong for follow up and to receive another dose of IV Herceptin (monoclonal antibody). Thankfully it does not have any side effects. We discussed and finally decided that I would go to the National Cancer Centre (NCC) at Singapore National Centre (SGH) for radiotherapy. Cousin Rachel's good friend, Dr Susan Loong, is the Senior Consultant Radiologist there. Karmen Wong was previoiusly from SGH and knows also highly recommended Susan Loong.

Radiotherapy will start in November and go on for 5 weeks, 5 days a week. On Monday I had a CT scan with markings and wires taped to my body - this is for the doctors to plan the treatment. I also received 4 tattoos (just tiny dots) as permanent reference markings to guide the radiologist.

We thank God for his provision of wonderful doctors to take care of me. Even as I receive drugs, surgery, radiation, take my health supplements, tonics, juices, etc, I am reminded that it is God who heals. He is the great Physician. "I am the Lord who heals you." Ex 15:26

My sister sent me a card with the following poem...
The One who made us knows how to mend us.
He is the Great Physician -
The only One who can heal body, soul, and spirit.
His appointment calendar is never too full...
His schedule is never too busy...
His diagnosis is accurate...
His treatment is gentle...
His results are wonderful!