Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Surgery Tomorrow!

My mastectomy is scheduled for 9 am and will last about 2-2.5 hours. It will be at Mt Elizabeth Hospital which is where my surgeon Dr Karen Yap usually operates. I will stay in the hospital for 2 nights and should be home by Friday afternoon.

Tonight, Reuben prayed with the boys - David prayed that the Lord will get me through the surgery and Jonathan prayed that I will be healed. I prayed with Alisha and Janice - Alisha prayed that the surgery will go well and nothing will go wrong, Janice prayed that I will not be afraid... Aren't they precious?

I was reading Genesis chapter 3 with David and Janice a couple of weeks ago and we spoke of how Eve found it hard to believe God knows best. They both felt that my cancer was one of the things which made it hard to belive that God knows best. I was able to share with them God's good purpose and sovereignty.

Last week when I went to visit Dr Karen Yap to discuss the surgery. She explained what the mastectomy involved, options for reconstruction etc. With surgery imminent, I suddenly felt anxious and emotional about losing a part of my body. It took a couple of days to reconcile with it.

On Sunday a young man in church approached me after service and said God had prompted him to pray for me. Teck Tee is a medical student whom we don't know. I had met him once at the playground in church and the second time during friendship time. So we sat down and he read for me Psalm 23 and prayed for me. Reuben and I were very touched.

We know many of you are also praying for us - thank you!

Psalm 23
You, LORD, are my shepherd. I will never be in need. You let me rest in fields of green grass. You lead me to streams of peaceful water, and you refresh my life. You are true to your name, and you lead me along the right paths. I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won't be afraid. You are with me, and your shepherd's rod makes me feel safe. You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch. You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows. Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life, and I will live forever in your house, LORD. (Contemporary English Version)