Thursday, September 25, 2008

Recuperating

It's been almost a week since my surgery last Wednesday. I am doing well and feeling good.

I was admitted at Mt Elizabeth hospital on at about 7.45am on Wed. My mum and Reuben accompanied me to hospital. We were shown to my ward on level 5 and the super efficient nurses came to ask questions, fill up forms, tag me, got me to change, sign consent forms etc.

At 8.30am another nurse and an orderly came with the "trolley" (?) and wheeled me to level 3 where the operating theatres were. I was wheeled in to OT at about 8.45am. Dr Karen Yap came and we had a chat while waiting for the anaesthetist, Dr Lai. He administered the anesthetic at 9.15am and I woke up about 12.45pm. My Dr, Karen Yap said the surgery went very well and I was in a very stable condition throughout.

After I was fully awake, they wheeled me back to the ward. A few friends came to visit but I was not able to manage much of a conversation. The IV drip with painkiller was left in my arm after surgery and removed only at 4 pm. Because of the drip, I was very groggy and drifted in and out of sleep. My mum woke me at 6 pm for dinner - I managed to eat the light meal of macaroni chicken.

My friend Nancy Ang who is an Occupational Therapist came and gave me some brochures and instructions on exercises for my arm. Karen Yap came to check on me, re-bandaged a part of the pressure dressing and checked the level of fluid in my drainage bottle. The family came to visit around 8pm - the kids, having checked that I was fine, settled down to watch TV - they left before 9pm.

During the night I was able to get up and go to the toilet assisted by the nurse. I managed to go to the toilet by myself in the middle of the night and again in the morning to brush my teeth and wash my face.

Thursday morning, Reuben and mum came at 7.30am and Karen Yap came about 8 am. After examining me she asked how I felt (I felt fine) and asked if I would like to go home! And so I was discharged at 11am and reached home 11.45am.

The drainage tube was removed yesterday and i only have to go back for a check up on Friday.

Thanks for your prayers.