Monday, September 15, 2008

Update on Surgery

Last Thursday 11 Sep, morning I went to see my surgeon Dr Karen Yap at Mt Elizabeth Medical Centre to discuss about surgery. She also did a physical and ultrasound examination on the lumps. They have all shrunk and no new tumors have been discovered. PTL! We have scheduled my mastectomy on Wed 24 Sep 08 at Mt Elizabeth Hospital.

The surgery will remove my whole right breast, lymph nodes in the arm-pits and chest walls. After surgery I will need to do exercises to relieve the stiffness in my arm.

In the afternoon I went to see Dr Karmen Wong about my lingering cough and also to do a blood test. On Friday 12 Sep. Dr Wong called to say that the results were out and my white blood count and red blood count were both low.

This is cause for concern as white blood cells are important for immunity and a low level increases the risk of infection. Red blood cells are essential for carrying oxygen to parts of the body. A healthy level will minimise the need for transfusion. The level of platelets are also important for blood clotting after surgery.

So I went in for an Eprex injection (red blood cell booster). Normally our body (kidneys) produces erythropoietin which signals the bone marrow to produce red blood cells (RBCs). Eprex is a synthetic form of erythropoietin. I will have another Eprex injection this Friday, 19 Sep.

On Monday 22 Sep I will have a blood test again to assess fitness for surgery.

Please pray for:
  • my body to produce the necessary amount of red blood and white blood cells;
  • mental and emotional preparation for surgery for myself, Reuben and our kids;
  • recovery and healing of wounds;
  • adjustment to the physical changes after surgery.

Thank you for your encouragement, prayers and support.

We never give up. Our bodies are gradually dying, but we ourselves are being made stronger each day. These little troubles are getting us ready for an eternal glory that will make all our troubles seem like nothing. Things that are seen don't last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That's why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18