Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas 2008

Reuben and I with Jonathan 13, David 10, Spyke (2human years), Alisha 12 and Janice 8

Christmas is just 4 days away...

Unlike my children who cannot wait for birthdays, Christmas, new year to come because they will be older, I am usually less enthusiastic about them... more work for me to do!

In fact, I usually feel melancholic at this time of the year. This has happened without fail for the past few years. This melancholic mood will invariably "descend" on me before Chinese New Year, before my birthday and before Christmas. I'm not sure if everyone else past middle-age feels this way about the passing of time, getting older...

This year I feel differently. Given my cancer diagnosis and treatment since April 2008, turning 44 in October was a very happy milestone for me. Being able to celebrate this Christmas with my family, to see out the year 2008 brings joy to my heart. I think I will no longer feel sad about growing older. Each day, each week, each month, each year is a bonus, a gift... to be received with gratitude and joy.

So to friends and loved ones near and far, I take this opportunity to send Christmas greetings from my home and my family, to you and your families:

As you celebrate the birth of Jesus,
may you have the love, joy, peace and hope
that comes from knowing Him as Saviour, Lord and King.
Blessed Christmas!
Luke 2:10-11 The angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great JOY that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord."