Monday, May 5, 2008

Discouraging Delays

Monday 5 May 2008. I was supposed to start chemotherapy. However, the results for the FISH test (not sure what it stands for) has not come back from the pathology lab. My MRI and PET scans indicated some infection in my sinuses which needs to be investigated further.

Went to see an ENT surgeon and underwent a CT scan.

In 1992-93 I had numerous episodes of sinusitis. I had several Antral Washes and then a FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery) done. The ENT surgeon then found and removed fungus growing in my sinuses. If there is fungus growing in my sinuses now, it may have to be dealt with before chemo. Reason is that chemo will suppress my immune system and the fungus could grow into my eyes, brain etc. which will not be good. Chemo scheduled to start 6 May instead.

Tuesday 6 May 2008. Got a call from the ENT surgeon - CT scan indicative of fungal growth, minimal risk but asked me to consider another FESS to remove the growth. I was discouraged - FESS is not a major surgery but I remember that post operatively I felt very uncomfortable. To do a surgery would delay my cancer treatment by another week!

For the first time since my diagnosis I really cried. I didn't feel like I had the strength and energy to fight on another front. I called my friend Esther who cautioned against missing the forest for the trees. I frantically tried to search the net for information. It didn't yield much.

About 1.45 pm I went down to the kitchen for lunch. In that quiet moment was assured by the Lord to go ahead with the chemo. Just then the oncologist, Dr Karmen Wong, called and discussed with Reuben - chemo is on! I had an appointment at 2.30pm, made it to the clinic at 2.45pm.

The chemo regimen I am on is TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin and Herceptin). The intravenous infusion today took almost 4 hours. Praise God I am feeling ok. Going to sleep now.