Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hair Raising

On Tuesday night as I shampooed what was left of my hair (still quite a lot!), it started coming out in great big bunches, I regretted not cutting it shorter. (I didn't want to spend any more money on hair I was going to lose anyway! )

All the clumps of wet hair was getting stuck on me. It wasn't a very nice feeling - that clingy hair. I understood then why my kids were always afraid to see hair in the shower. Even now during a shower they would make sure none of their own hair was stuck to any part of their body.

So there I was in the shower, grabbing a pair of scissors and giving myself an impromptu hair cut to even out the straggly bits. The result is still pretty respectable (If I should say so myself). I thought I was not vain but I was affected by this loss of hair. I can now see my scalp (it's not obvious in the photo).

It is a humbling experience, I suddenly look older than my years. I cried a little and told the Lord it was a bit hard. But then I thought if the trade off is loss of hair to be rid of cancer, then so be it, it's a small price to pay. It's interesting that my scalp ached last night although the pain went away after a while. Must be missing the weight of the hair!?

In our culture, we tend to draw so much of our sense of identity from the externals. From young we are indoctrinated by images of "ideal" bodies in magazines, TV, movies etc. We get sold on how we "should" look: hairstyle and length; facial features - eyebrows, chin, nose, lips, eyelids; body shape; clothing styles etc.

We focus so much on our own and others' appearance, we forget the person. We draw conclusions about people based on their appearance. God looks at people differently though - He sees your heart and mine. 1Samuel 16:6b The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Let's not spend so much time and resources maintaining just these outward things and neglect the parts that will last forever. I pray I may still be beautiful in the eyes of God and in the eyes of my family, loved ones and friends.