Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wig?

Several people have asked me if I've purchased a wig and given me the addresses of places to buy them. On the other hand, I've been told that wigs are really hot for Singapore weather. My plan right now is to just wear scarves, bandannas and hats to protect my head and keep warm.

I know people may stare if they see me with a bald head - somehow hair does dignify a person. However I think I don't have to hide the fact that I have cancer. I feel that I should be able to go out with a bald head with dignity and pride. Like battle scars, which are nothing to be ashamed of, a bald head means I am fighting the cancer and glad to be alive!

I saw two beautiful ladies at the oncologist's clinic on Tuesday. One had a beautiful turban on and she looked so chic and the other had a colourful scarf tied pirate style. While I don't intend to wear a wig at the moment, I may change my mind... will see how it goes.

Today I received presents! My sister-in-law Amanda in Australia sent me two scarves for my head. My sister Lilian in USA sent me 4 hats, a scarf and a "halo wig". My sister did suggest I try and learn how to draw in my eyebrows. She says people look more sickly without eyebrows. I don't know how to do that ... hmmm do they sell templates to fill in?

My friend Elizabeth sent me these beautiful words of comfort, "Hair will grow again and when it comes back it will be like having Spring visit after a long cold winter.Winter has its own beauty but Spring is re-birth and life. I hope spring comes soon. But find joy in the winter too."

My heavenly Father is sovereign, I did not plan to take this path but He deems it necessary for me to go this way. The experience is not just for me to learn lessons but to know and experience Him in a deeper way. The words of the song, In the Valley (by Bob Kauflin recorded on Valley of Vision) puts it aptly.

When You lead me to the valley of vision
I can see You in the heights
And though my humbling wouldn’t be my decision
It’s here Your glory shines so bright
So let me learn that the cross precedes the crown
To be low is to be high
That the valley’s where You make me more like Christ

Let me find Your grace in the valley
Let me find Your life in my death
Let me find Your joy in my sorrow
Your wealth in my need
That You’re near with every breath
In the valley

In the daytime there are stars in the heavens
But they only shine at night
And the deeper that I go into darkness
The more I see their radiant light
So let me learn that my losses are my gain
To be broken is to heal
That the valley’s where Your power is revealed

© 2006 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI).