Saturday, May 24, 2008

Medical Expenses

Have you ever wondered how much it would cost to be treated for cancer? It certainly never crossed my mind until I myself was diagnosed. We complacently thought that the group medical insurance Reuben's employer provided would be sufficient to cover most of our medical needs. And it may have been for regular stuff, but NOT for critical illness. We asked for the benefits schedule and realised that the limits were quite low - the provision for chemotheraphy would not be sufficient for 2 rounds of chemo!

After my diagnosis, I asked a friend how much her breast cancer treatment several years ago cost. It was approximately $100,000 all up. Medical tests, scans etc are costly - my PET Scan (Positron Emission Tomography) alone costs more than $3,000, MRI was $800 (just for my brain). Thankfully some 9-10 years ago, I bought a small insurance policy for critical illness coverage. That has been paid out and helps defray the cost.

Some lessons that you can learn from my experience:
1. Please look into your own insurance coverage. It is wise to prepare for a crisis and the care of our families - it does not mean you do not trust God. Start young because the premiums are lower. You can get your agent to tailor something to your budget - it is well worth the expense.
2. For my women friends reading this, please go and have your PAP smear tests and mammogram regularly if you're above 40. Do not delay - early detection means you can nip the disease in the bud (e.g. lumpectomy vs mastectomy). I am only 43 and women are getting breast cancer as early as their 20s these days.
3. Take care of your bodies - not just the external appearance. Eat your fruits and veges, cut down on sugar & sweet foods, cut down on processed foods. Get enough sleep!