Wednesday, July 30, 2008

5th cycle

My 5th chemotherapy session was scheduled for yesterday, but was postponed to today. Dr KW wanted me to go back to the surgeon to do an ultrasound measurement of the tumor to check if it was responding well to the drugs.

I recently read an article on breast cancer treatment, published in Scientific American, which my friend Corrie passed to me. The article traced the development of breast cancer treatment from the 19th century to now. Herceptin, the monoclonal antibody that is being used to treat my cancer has only been in use since 1998 but already studies have shown that cancer cells can develop resistance to it.

So to ensure that we were on the right track, it was best to check that my tumor is shrinking and not becoming resistant. My tumors have not completely disappeared but the 2 largest ones which were measure have certainly shrunk. My CEA tumor marker (Carcino-embryonic Antigen) has also gone down to the normal range of 3.7ug/L (normal is <4.7ug/L).

We rejoice to receive this good report. My blood count is marginally low. My red blood count is 3.35x10 to the power of 12/L (normal range is 4.2-5.4). As a result of the low red blood cells I tire more easily and pant just after climbing one flight of stairs! My white blood cell count is also low 3x10 to the power of 9/L (normal range is 4-10). So I am more susceptible to infections.

I'll be having my final chemo session on 20 Aug and surgery is scheduled for mid-end September. Blood count needs to be in the normal range for surgery to proceed.

Covet your prayers for:-
  • body to produce blood cells;
  • resistance to illness;
  • diverticulitis to completely subside so I can go back to eating normal food;
  • tumor cells to die and tumor to continue to shrink so the surgery will be uncomplicated.
Psalm 139:13-14 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.