Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Suffering

About a year ago, I was studying the book of Romans and mulling over the question of whether I had suffered. To me, suffering would include things like going through disasters, losing everything, having to endure interminable pain or illnesses. My life experiences did not really count as "suffering".

I asked Reuben whether he thought I had suffered in my life. He thought I had - loss of loved ones, financial crises, rejection by friends, disappointments and failures etc.

More recently a friend was pondering why I had to suffer cancer - is there some greater purpose?

Let me share with you some of my thoughts about suffering - some are just general observations, others are truths I learnt from the bible and I don't have complete answers yet.

Suffering is the common lot of man - everyone suffers. If you haven't ever suffered yet, it's only a matter of when and to what extent. Some suffering comes as a consequence of what we do - i.e. reaping what we sow. Others because of the actions of others since whatever we do impacts others even when we don't see it immediately (think drink driving, adultery's impact on families. climate change etc.).

Most suffering occurs because all is not well in our world. The bible says because of sin and enmity with God, our world is imperfect/fallen and everything is subject to decay. The bible says that the whole of creation is groaning as in birth pangs awaiting the day when things will be restored. As part of the created order, our bodies are decaying, we get sick etc.

The difference for me as a Christian is that when I go through suffering, I don't suffer alone. God is with me. This experience of walking through the valley of shadow of death has drawn me closer to God - knowing He is with me, experiencing His peace in turmoil, His strength in fear and weakness, seeing His hope in moments of despair. Appreciating His kindness and goodness daily. I also experience God's love poured out through the love of friends and loved ones.

The other thing the bible teaches me about suffering as a Christian is that it is not pointless nor hopeless. I may not see the point right now but I know the promises God has given. My suffering is temporary and will result in good. My suffering is God's way of molding me to be more like Jesus; He is building my character.

There are many lessons to be learnt through this journey - one of them is a reminder that although I may think I'm in charge, in reality I am totally dependent on God. My next breath could be my last. I'm reminded to live each moment in readiness that it could be my last.

I don't think my suffering is anything out of ordinary, or extreme, just "generic" suffering. I have friends who have very chronic, long term illnesses where there seem no end - they have it much harder.

I'm not saying that people who are not Christians do not endure or overcome life suffering well. The human spirit is tenacious and strong and I have seen many who have triumphed over their circumstances. The above is my personal belief which are anchored on promises in the bible.
Romans 5:2b-5 "We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and chareacter hope; and hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us."