Thursday, July 17, 2008

Infection 2

At 4.30 this morning, I woke up feeling different... I went to the bathroom to check my temperature and my fever had finally subsided - that's a relief!

I could tell Dr KW was not very "happy" yesterday that my fever was still a high of 38.5C despite having given me intravenous antibiotic (Avelox) on Monday. She ordered a full blood count - I will be hospitalised if there is no uptrend in the results despite having taken a white blood cell booster.

After giving my blood sample, I was sent up to Dr Michael Hoe the gastro surgeon to review CT scan of my abdomen an pelvis. He showed me that there was inflammation of the colon wall, reducing the opening to about 1cm diameter. Oral antibiotics (Flagyl) was prescribed to kill the anaerobic bacteria. For the next 2 weeks I am not to take vegetables and fruits! Instead my diet consists of easily digestible foods - white rice porridge, mee suah, etc. (Maybe I'll lose some weight with this diet...) My friend Susie sent me an e-mail with cantonese soup and porridge recipes. I looked up the internet and found a host of other information on diverticulitis diet.
(then again, maybe not...)

Another friend Alison Chong told me not to eat raw foods and leftovers since my immunity is low - why didn't I think of that before?