Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Been Busy

Wow! a week has just flown by so quickly and I have not had a chance to post any updates. It's been a busy, packed week but a very pleasurable one! i was able to carry on with my daily routine - I never used to think that an achievement...

I took Janice to the opthalmologist on Thursday morning for follow up on her lazy eye. Her vision has improved and now she can read 1.5 lines more than before! The daily 3-hour patching has helped. In the afternoon Rachel came with biscuits and hand cream that she had gotten hubby Bernard to carry back from London. Late evening, the boys, Spyke and I took a walk to Ghim Moh to pick something up.

Lynette and Peter came laden with breakfast on Saturday morning - prata, chwee kueh, chee cheong fun, lor mai kai, yu cha kueh - we had a feast! Breakfast was followed by singing hymns and choruses with Lynette who has the most velvety, mellow alto voice.

In the afternoon I attended a lovely wedding and reception. Alice and Anna, whom we got to know in Brisbane when they were students there, were waiting for me when I got back from the wedding. Anna had baked a perfect orange chiffon cake which we had for tea. At night, I made 4 trays of baked rice - 2 for children's church on Sunday, one for my Indonesian helpers to take to bible study and one for home.

With all this food, it's no wonder I have actually put on weight (a little) since my diagnosis! I watch what i eat but I try to eat a bit more while I can to tide me over the days when the appetite goes.

Sunday was children's church family games day followed by a "pot-luck" lunch. It was really fun for parents, children and teachers to interact through games. I sat out the games but cheered from the sidelines. The games for upper primary children were organised by one of our church's Discipleship Groups. To the delight of all, these enthusiastic, energetic and creative singles planned the games around the theme of Kungfu Panda and all of them dressed up for the part! Thank you for making the games day so special for us.

Apart from all these, I had to prepare my BSF training for leaders and lecture for the class. 2 lessons from Matthew 12: Jesus says there is no neutral ground - you are either for or against him and Jesus defines his family: those who do the will of the Father; who hear his words and put them into practice/obey.

In a week like this, except for tiredness in the afternoons, necessitating a nap, it's easy to forget I am being treated for cancer.

In less than a week I'll be going for my 4th chemo cycle. I have to admit I don't look forward to the week immediately following chemo - dreading the "sick" feeling, mild though it has been. Yet I look forward to it as it is one step closer to the end of chemo!


Psalm 16:5-6
5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.

6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.