Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Anaemia

This last week I have been feeling a lot more tired than expected (based on experience of previous cycles). I felt sleepy and a bit "dull"-minded.

Today the blood test shows that my haemoglobin level has dropped from 12.0 g/dL three weeks ago to 10.4 (ref range 12.0-16.0 g/dL). The red blood cells (erythrocytes, platelets) are also lower than 3 weeks ago and lower than the minimum of the range.

The brochure Dr Wong gave says that the symptoms of me anaemia include: extreme weakness and tiredness, loss in concentration, headache, difficulty speaking (check all four) as well as shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, dizziness or fainting, paleness.

I was still healthy enough to take the chemotherapy drugs. To counter the anaemia, DrWong gave me an erythropoetin (to boost the body's bone marrow's production) intravenously at the end of my chemo. I will also be taking liquid iron drops to increase my dietary iron. The erythropoetin costs $640 for one vial of 0.6 ml!

I am reminded that we can take many medicines and drugs for our illnesses but they may not always be effective. The healing of our bodies is from God as is spiritual healing.

Jeremiah 17:14 "Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise."