Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Answered Prayers

It's been a few days since i blogged (is that even a proper verb?). As usual in the first week of chemo cycle, I have been feeling very tired... maybe a little more than previous rounds. Hmm... I'm wondering if it has to do with a lower red blood count. Frequent trips to the toilet during the nights does not help fatigue of course. Thankfully the infection is clearing.

For each chemo cycle, I notice that I generally am able to eat well until day 3 or 4 and then the appetite goes, tummy feels less comfortable, mouth tastes funny etc. That is when I have to consciously eat and drink - an act of the will. I am unable to eat big meals as it makes me feel queasy so I have to eat more often which is not very "convenient".

Sometimes all i feel like eating is cream crackers dunked in hot coffee (comfort food from childhood). But since I've stopped drinking coffee, i dunk them in hot green tea and soy milk (doesn't taste the same though). On Sunday, I had a special treat, Reuben stopped at Burger King and bought me a Double Whopper which smelt great and tasted just as good. I could only eat just more than half and he had the rest.

On day 6 of the cycle (Sunday) I start getting diarrhoea which will last till day 10/11. This is an uncomfortable time. On Sunday night I was going to the toilet so often I worried about not sleeping well. So i prayed specifically for relief and God was gracious to answer my prayers - I slept from 11pm to 6am without getting up at all. I was refreshed and able to carry on with my BSF leaders meeting. This happened again on Monday, my tummy was upset all day but at night, in answer to prayer, I had relief throughout the night.

A friend of mine once shared that her husband, who was seeking spiritual truth, asked her how she knew God exists. She asked me what i would have said and i spoke at length about how the complexity of the world, of life convinces me that things did not come about by chance etc. I asked what she told her husband. Her reply? "I just told him i know God is real because He answers my prayers." Wow, such simple but profound faith.

Indeed God hears and answers the prayers of His beloved children. He has heard all the petitions being raised up for me, been gracious to me and given me relief and good results from he treatment. Praise the Lord!

Psalm 6:9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.