Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Living and Dying

In the day-to-day busy-ness of life, it's easy to think that there will always be tomorrow, next week, month and year. In reality though, our lives are fragile and there is no certainty that there will be a next hour let alone next year.

Soon after I was diagnosed with cancer, I read in the papers about a breast cancer survivor who, on her way home from dragon boat practice, was knocked down by a car and killed instantly. She survived cancer to die in an accident.

On Saturday, I went to the funeral wake of Andrew Ong's mum. She had been suffering from cancer for a couple of years and undergoing treatment. Her family did not expect her condition to suddenly deteriorate and pass on so quickly.

While at the wake, Reuben called from the church camp in Melaka to tell me that our friend Richard Chiam, who had been nursing a headache for 3 days, had lost consciousness. At the hospital, they discovered a hemorrhage in the skull and he underwent emergency surgery. He was airlifted back to Singapore when his condition stabilised. Last night he underwent another surgery because the bleeding had not stopped and the doctors have not found the source. In situations like these, even the doctors are powerless to help. We can only pray for him, his wife Gracie and his family.

How should I live knowing that this day may be the last? How ready am I to face my maker? These are important questions to ponder...

Phil 1:18b-21 " Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."