Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friends

Reuben and I moved to Singapore from Brisbane Australia in 1991. Reuben came first in January and started work while I came in Jul as I had to finish off my studies. At that time, our plan was to stay a couple of years... We've now lived 17 years in Singapore! How quickly time passes.

Several of our friends who studied in Brisbane also returned to work in Singapore in '91. In our first year here, we used to meet our returnee friends monthly for bible study, fellowship and eat together. Over the years, as we settled down and life became more hectic, the meetings became fewer and farther apart.

Today we managed to catch up with a couple whom I have not seen since 1991. Our friend Dr Weber Lau, a urologist in SGH came by to visit, encourage and pray for us. He also brought a book for me. In the afternoon, I went to see his wife Dr Gan Ai Tee, a dentist to check on the ulcer in my gum.

In the evening our friend Loh Seng Yee came to visit and have a quick dinner with us. He had moved to London with his family at the end of 2007 for a job posting. He brought us biscuits from London, a beautiful hat picked by his wife Joyce for me and gift vouchers (so practical!). We first got to know Seng Yee and Joyce through the children's swimming lessons, then Joyce became their piano teacher and our friendship grew from there...

We thank God for the loyalty and "stickability" of friends and loved ones in good and difficult times. Thank you for your prayers, encouragement and practical help. Thank you especially for reminding us of the Lord.