Monday, June 9, 2008

Catching Up With Old Friends

Wow! the weekend went quickly. I had a good break and some extended quiet times. I felt energetic today and was able to make cheesecake for dessert - a surprise for the family and to welcome them back.

The family returned from church camp at 3pm. They all enjoyed themselves very much although Reuben was a bit stressed with keeping tabs on the kids. The children had extended time to spend with their friends. Reuben found the talks relevant, meaningful and comforting; and the sharing encouraging and uplifting. Camps are great for extended time of fellowship and getting to know others.

This past weeks since my diagnosis, God has been giving me opportunities to catch up with old friends. Lynette, my dear friend and flatmate in Australia drove me to one of my check ups with Dr Wong. She waited with me and then we had a good talk over lunch.

Yesterday I met our friends Young and Wilson Quilindo at church. They used to live in Singapore about 7 years ago and were part of my music team at church - Wilson is great on the guitar and Young sings. Now based in New York City, they were in town to visit family. We had lunch and then came to have coffee at our house.

Yesterday evening Amy and Chong Kiat came to visit. I used to sing with them in their group the Cross Connection - that's where I learnt how to sing contemporary style. Before that, I only knew how to sing "choir style" because of my many years in school and church choirs. I miss singing in a group and hearing the harmony of the parts... sends chills down my spine. I think that's one of the things I will start doing again soon.

Lynette Lo, Chong Kiat's sister, calls regularly to ask after me and talk even though her own health is not tip top. She even made lemon grass tea for me and delivered it when she read that it's good for killing cancer cells.

My old childhood friends from BP came to visit and pray for me after my first chemo. Although we all live quite near each other in Singapore, we don't see each other often (once in 2-3 years?). Ling Ling has been to my place several times now to help me with insurance matters and calls to encourage me. Each time she comes laden with food for the family. My friend Ps Leslie makes time to fast and pray for me.

It's been a full week - praise God for each day lived to the full.