Friday, June 13, 2008

Long Day

I remember Reuben asking Dr KW at my first chemo whether I should isolate myself for the duration of chemo treatment. She said that I should carry on living as normally as possible - with allowances for fatigue etc. She said it was ok for me to go to church but advised I sit at the side, not in the middle of the congregation. I asked "I can still have a social life?" and, to my delight, she said "Of course!"

I've been careful, avoiding crowded places. When I do go out to church or shopping centres I would wear a mask. Thankfully I am not overly self-conscious even with my mask and hat on. I do enjoy being out and about, doing things with and for the children rather than beeing cooped up at home all the time.

Today I had a long outing. All our 4 children took part in a junior golf competition at Warren Golf CC. Jonathan and Alisha played 18 holes in the handicap division. David played a 3-hole PC competition and Janice participated in the skills contest. None of them won any prizes but we were especially proud of Alisha as it was her first time playing 18 holes at Warren - long course.

We woke up at 6 am, left the house at 7 am and did not get home til about 4 pm because the competition was rain delayed and we stayed for the lunch and prize giving. I was so exhausted at the end and was nursing a headache, on arrival home, i just went to bed for two and a half hours. This has been my longest outing since my diagnosis. Have to be careful not to overdo things.

Just after we arrived home, my friend Janet Koh came by to deliver a gift. Janet and Ruth Seah had bought me a hamper full of organic foods (thank you!). Thank you all our dear friends for anticipating and meeting our needs.