Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cycle 3

I went to the oncologist today for cycle 3 of chemotherapy. My appt was for 10.30am but being kiasu and hoping to see the doctor earlier, i turned up before 9.00am. Turns out today was an extremely busy day and the doctor started clinic late. Every patient had at least one person accompanying them. One frail elderly man had daughter, wife and maid with him. A few had 2 children coming along as they did not speak English and the children had to comunicate with the doctor, explain instructions etc. You can imagine how crowded the waiting room was! I finally saw the doctor at about 11am.

Good news! My CEA Cancer Marker (Carcino-Embryonic Antigen) has gone down. The normal range is 0-4.7 ug/L. The results have gone down from 16.6 ug/L before cycle 1, to 12.9ug/L before cycle 2, to 6.5ug/L today! The lump is also much more diffuse and feels more normal. I will go for an ultrasound investigation on Friday to check the size of the tumors. My white blood count was good but the total red blood count (red blood cells, haematocrit and platelets) was marginally below the normal range.

Hearing of my long wait at the doctor, our cousin Rachel decided to bring me some pie, cookies and horlicks. Vera, who had offered to drive me home, came at about 12 with sandwiches, only to find me just about to start chemo. I finally started the chemo infusion at 12pm and it ended at 3.45pm. I made good use of the 3 hours by doing bible study and meditating. Joyce was there to take me home at 4pm.

After such a long day at the clinic, I felt exhausted. After having some tea, I still managed to play a game of scrabble with the kids. Well, going to bed now.