Thursday, June 19, 2008

Lows and Highs

These past 2 days after cycle 3 of chemo, I feel physically more tired than before... I woke up early yesterday and today but managed to get a nap of 3 hours yesterday and an hour today.

My last urine test on Monday showed I have UTI (urinary tract infection) - Dr KW took a urine culture on Tuesday and the results came out today. I had to return to the clinic to get the results and a course of antibiotics. The scary thing is, I have an E. Coli (very common bacteria) infection that is resistant to 5 different antibiotics! So now I have added Cranberry juice (which helps fight UTI) to my list of things to eat/drink... *sigh* there are only so many hours in a day and so many different supplements, helpful stuff to eat and drink.

My friend Dr Un Wai Pek felt that I sounded "down" in my last few blog entries... I guess it's easy to feel down when my body does not seem to work quite as well as it usually does. I feel a bit slower and more easily tired. Plus the increased trips to the toilet. As the side-effects kick in, I do feel less comfortable, more queasy, have less appetite.

The distractions of visitors does help lift my spirit. 3 members of my music team: Karen, Lyn-Li and Yin came to visit yesterday. After tea, we had a session of singing - it was beautiful to make music together. Certainly something I want to do more of. Lin Choo (my BSF teaching leader from 1999 to 2006) came to visit today and prayed with me. My mum's friend from church came to visit with fruits, Wai Pek dropped by today with fresh muffins for the family... Thank you all so much!

I am returning to teach BSF class next week. Having the focus of something meaningful to do also keeps me going. Do pray for me as I embark on this - Dr KW has given me the green light but asked me to make adjustments to guard against infection.

A verse that encouraged me this week:

1 Peter 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.